"JOY is the purpose of our creation"

Hello everyone! I have had a great week serving the Lord! :) I can't even put into words the love that I have for this work and the BEAUTIFUL people here in the Philippines 

Last Pday our zone went bowling. We also played a game with "duck pins" and these smaller type bowling balls. That was the funnest! For a second I forgot I am in the Philippines, but then I look outside and it looks like Jurassic Park and I remember hahaha

Bowling was fun, but my favorite part was when we went out to eat after because I had the opportunity to share the Gospel! The owner of the restaurant wasn't from the Philippines. He was from somewhere in Europe and had a THICK accent, but it was English so I was excited to be able to talk to him! We talked for a while. He was really funny and swore a lot haha! While we were talking, he mentioned that this was his second wife, and that is first wife has passed away. I knew that I needed to share with him the God's beautiful for plan for us: The Plan of Salvation. I usually don't carry around English pamphlets, but for some reason, I had an English Plan of Salvation pamphlet with me that day! As we were leaving I have him the pamphlet and an overview. He seemed interested. Even if nothing comes from it, I know that no effort is wasted. I'm so thankful we crossed paths that day!

We have this new family we are teaching that I'm really excited about. We taught them about Eternal Families and temples. When we explained how families can be sealed together for eternity inside the House of the Lord, the 12 year old daughter said "wooww! That is so cool!" That was one of my favorite things that happened this week. I love when people see how amazing this gospel is and God's plan for us! I catch myself having that same expression but in my head during my studies each day! This Gospel is fascinating! I love it so much!

This week I had the opportunity to go on exchanges with an sister training leader. We worked in my area. She is from Oregon and has been in the mission a little over a year. It was really interesting proselyting with another American. We got a lot of stares! I learned a lot that day and had a blast!

Last Friday, Sister Gaspar and I went to visit one of our investigators. We weren't planning to that day but just felt like we needed to visit her. We got into her house, sat down, and she said that this will be our last visit. We were really confused. We asked her why and she started crying. She says that she has no money. Not even 1 peso. Because she has no money she has to move to live with her sister. She told us she hasn't even been able to eat. We asked her when she was moving and she told us just in a few hours. We visited her just in time to say good-bye and talk to her in this hard time. I didn't know what to do or say, but I know that the scriptures "heal the wounded soul" Jacob 2:8 so I turned to the scriptures and shared Mosiah 24: 12-15

12 And Alma and his people did not raise their voices to the Lord their God, but did pour out their hearts to him; and he did know the thoughts of their hearts.
13 And it came to pass that the voice of the Lord came to them in their afflictions, saying: Lift up your heads and be of good comfort, for I know of the covenant which ye have made unto me; and I will covenant with my people and deliver them out of bondage.
14 And I will also ease the burdens which are put upon your shoulders, that even you cannot feel them upon your backs, even while you are in bondage; and this will I do that ye may stand as witnesses for me hereafter, and that ye may know of a surety that I, the Lord God, do visit my people in their afflictions.
15 And now it came to pass that the burdens which were laid upon Alma and his brethren were made light; yea, the Lord did strengthen them that they could bear up their burdens with ease, and they did submit cheerfully and with patience to all the will of the Lord.
I was so happy to be able to share this with her and it seemed she was comforted. The hardest part was saying good-bye. We were both crying and gave each other a long hug. I know everything will work out.
Everyone has trials in life. I love what was said last conference, I forgot by who, but it was something a long the lines that we need trials to overcome weakness and grow. I also realized that I learn the most from my trials. I was reading in D&C and came across this scripture 93:36 "The glory of God is intelligence , or, in other words, light and truth" In the scripture I shared to my investigator the bolded part says that the burdens were made "light" and here in D&C we learn another name for intelligence is light and truth. I know it's talking about how he helps us through trials, but I also think the savior is saying that he will make our trials become new knowledge if we rely on him and submit cheerfully to his will. I loved that. See your trials as an opportunity to gain more knowledge and grow in intelligence :) hopefully that makes sense haha :)
Well I'm out of time, I love you all so much! I hope you all have a wonderful week! :)
-Sister Durrant


Comments

Popular Posts